Sunday, February 18, 2007

Extra-terrestrial Enquirer!

Suspicious Activities Uncovered at Run Camp!


Beyond Marathon Training organizers are now looking at the possibility of implementing a Grand Rapids Car Pool Program. We keep losing them to northern territories; first Sara Parr and now Rachel Wittkowski who sent us her greetings and an update:

“I know that I have been MIA since I moved up to GR, but luckily, I have Saturdays off again for awhile. I haven't been running like I was before, so I need to get in the higher mileage. I am planning on coming to kzoo to run on Saturday... I need to get in the higher mileage before the 20 miler!! I did run in the Heart and Sole 5K on Sat, Feb 10 and placed 2nd in F25-29. I had a pretty good time for myself considering the slush, hills and freezing temps. I hope to make it this Saturday, but if not the next one for sure...
I moved up to GR because I got a job as a Respiratory Care Assistant, plus I am doing all my clinicals up here. Right now I am in the NICU and I love it! I graduate at the end of April and will continue to work up here if they give me a job! But I am still planning on coming down for most of the rest of the runs.”

Rachel Wittkowski (front) reporting live from Grand Rapids
We’ll keep you posted on the carpool situation Rachel!

Speaking of MIA, Brenda Stoddard escaped the brutal winter weather to vacation in the warmth of San Diego. Does anyone remember Rollin Richman? Rollin was an avid marathoner and the KAR Treasurer prior to Ralph climbing on board. Recently he has shifted his athletic endeavors to cycling, but his daughter Angela has joined us in the Beyond to continue the legacy. Welcome Angela!


In other news, Space Captains Marty and Bonnie decorated the Beyond Marathoners in festive leis, sent the group off on slippery roads, and then took off to conduct their investigation into suspicious activities taking place at the Borgess Run Camp. The detective team well armed with Marty’s police force tactical expertise and Bonnie’s penchant for throwing parties, uncovered festive spirits, three Beyond defectors and lots of fun on the run. “I didn’t want to go, but THEY extradited me and made me do it,” reported Karen Arrick! “I came along just for the ride, I’m innocent,” reported Ayron Lowis. “I work for the fine organizers,” reported Susan Celestini! “The Beyond was fun, but how could I possibly get out of coaching run camp!” “It just wasn’t going to happen!” With the help of some run camp plotters, the duo threw a Mardi Gras Party for the wild bunch, decorating them in crowns, beads and masks. But hey, the Beyond Marathoners get not one, not two, but three parties before we’re through…and we won’t force you to wear masks! As a side note, Bonnie was reprimanded for talking during class and then chased off once again by the paparazzi.

The Front Line Boston Marathon woman’s teams are coming together nicely! Thank you to Brenda Stoddard, Patti Montilla, Cindi Owen, Jen Shaffer, Bonnie Sexton, Monica Lynch and Sherrie Mann for joining the teams, and of course to Fred Vanhala for organizing them. Looks like we had some birthdays and newcomers to the master’s ranks, but you’ll have to read the Front Line Newsletter to find out whom. Sherrie Mann somehow managed to get younger, but is keeping the secret to herself. Great team spirit ladies!

We always knew she was a mover and a shaker! Lindsay Land is looking at starting a 5k training program through her employer in Battle Creek. You go girl!

Welcome back Vicki Mergen and Cheryl O’Neil!